Yes, Sexton Dental does provide implant services. Dental implants are a popular solution for individuals who have lost one or more teeth and want to restore their smile and oral functionality. Sexton Dental offers implant procedures performed by experienced professionals, ensuring high-quality results and patient satisfaction.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of titanium that are surgically placed into the jawbone. They serve as a strong foundation for the attachment of replacement teeth or dental crowns. Dental implants have become the go-to option for individuals seeking a long-term solution for missing teeth because of their durability, natural look, and ability to integrate with the jawbone.
The Process of Getting Dental Implants
The placement of dental implants typically involves several steps:
- Initial Consultation: During the first appointment, a comprehensive examination will be conducted to evaluate the patient’s oral health and determine if they are suitable candidates for dental implants.
- Implant Placement: In the next stage, the implant post is surgically inserted into the jawbone. This post acts as the root for the replacement tooth.
- Osseointegration: The process of osseointegration occurs over several months as the jawbone fuses and integrates with the implant, providing a stable and strong foundation for the replacement tooth.
- Abutment Placement: Once the implant has fully integrated, an abutment is attached to the implant post. The abutment serves as a connector between the implant and the replacement tooth.
- Placement of Replacement Tooth: Finally, a custom-made artificial tooth or dental crown is placed onto the abutment, completing the dental implant procedure.
Candidates for Dental Implants
Not everyone is an ideal candidate for dental implants. The suitability of an individual for implants depends on various factors, including:
- Oral Health: Good oral health is essential for successful implant placement. Patients with gum disease or insufficient bone density may require additional treatments or may not be suitable candidates.
- Bone Density: Sufficient jawbone density is necessary to support the implant. In some cases, bone grafting procedures may be required to enhance the bone volume.
- Overall Health: Certain health conditions, such as uncontrolled diabetes or immune system disorders, may affect the success of dental implants.
- Smoking: Smoking can impair the healing process and increase the risk of implant failure. Dentists often recommend quitting smoking before undergoing implant surgery.
Dental Implants vs. Other Tooth Replacement Options
When considering tooth replacement, it is essential to understand the differences between dental implants and alternative options:
|Require support from adjacent teeth
|Preserve jawbone health and stimulate growth
|No effect on jawbone
|May result in bone loss over time
|Strong and stable
|Relies on adjacent teeth for support
|Less stable and may affect speech and chewing
Maintaining Dental Implants
Proper oral care is crucial in maintaining the longevity and functionality of dental implants. Some tips for maintaining dental implants include:
- Brushing and flossing regularly to prevent plaque buildup around the implant area.
- Scheduling regular dental check-ups and cleanings to monitor the health of the implants.
- Avoiding chewing on hard objects or habits like nail-biting that may damage the implant.
- Quitting smoking, as it can negatively affect the success of dental implants.
Dental implants provided by Sexton Dental offer an effective and long-lasting solution for individuals with missing teeth. By consulting with their experienced professionals, patients can determine if they are suitable candidates for dental implant procedures. With proper care and maintenance, dental implants can restore smiles and improve oral health.